Monday, July 9, 2012

GROW YOUR OWN SPROUTS -





Glass Jar - There are many different sprouting kit options, ranging from stackable plastic rings to glass jars, sprouting bags, and automatic sprouters. My favorite is the glass jar method. Sprouting with this simple system involves soaking your chosen seeds overnight and covering the jar with a mesh screen and rubber band. In the morning drain the soak water and rinse the seeds twice daily, placing them on a rack to drain during the day. Harvest them within three to seven days. Some of the easiest sprouts to grow are alfalfa, fenugreek, radish, broccoli, mung beans, onion, cabbage, mustard seeds, chickpeas, quinoa, lentils, pea sprouts, and wheat seeds. For most sprouts, continue to sprout them until they have developed a long tail or their first leaves have begun to go green. In the case of chickpeas, quinoa, pea sprouts, and lentils, they are ready to eat as soon as their tails begin to unfurl or emerge from the seed. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog, have been looking for someone who grows their own sprouts, I have tried to find alfalfa seeds and nor sure where to look? I love all kinds of sprouts in salads etc.

    Kay
    http://kaysbetterhealthtoday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Kaya.
    I find some on Amazon. They have good organic rand as well. I do so because I never have time to go shopping.
    I have had many patients who share theirs, they find them in local store for a good price. Sorry I am not a bigger help :)

    ReplyDelete