Friday, March 2, 2012

Refried Beans


Until I found this refried beans recipe, I always bought canned refried beans to use in quesadillas. Now that I know how easy it is to make them from scratch, I prefer making my own. They are much tastier - and they are healthier and more economical too! Unlike canned refried beans, these make a hearty meal. Try serving them with rice, salsa and a salad.

If you are in a rush, use 2 cans (each 19 oz) of cooked pinto beans instead of cooking your own.

ingredients

3 Tbs olive oil

2 cups minced onion

4 cloves garlic, pressed

2 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

4 cups cooked pinto beans

directions

In a large skillet, heat the oil.
Add the onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
Sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft.
Turn heat to low.
Add the beans. Mix well. Mash the beans with a fork or a potato masher. Cook for a few more minutes until heated through.

½ cup serving = 185 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment